• Forum Header
  • See and review the latest setlists. Post and discuss past setlists.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

REVIEW: seattle

#196118 1 year, 11 months ago
would like to preface the review by explaining that i was not in attendance, i listened to the first set via stream and the 2nd this morning on taperrob's ustream page. stream was of excellent quality, dropping in and out a little bit here and there. luckily i was able to re-listen. thanks a lot taper rob.

"this one's for the NFL"..as soon as they started making noise i look at justin like "victim!?" and it makes sense with the weir quote. a debut for this band, one i was hoping to catch but oh well. it sounds pretty good, bob seems to be confident with the lyrics , john is using that dirty tone and phil is LOUD. the ihome speakers i have connected the laptop to in the hotel room sound like they're ready to pop. weir really gets intense on the refrain. nice little jam that dissolves into, lost sailor??? honestly at this point i am looking at my computer clock on east coast time and my phone with mountain and west coast time on it. i am starting to wonder if i missed the first set. sounds really great, bob doing a fine job with the vocals, john running up and down the neck of his guitar like a madman, then they cruise into the circumstance. a relief of tension if there ever was one. this pairing is done wondefully, and so early in the show makes it such a treat. sure don't know what i'm goin for, but i'm gonna go for it, for sure. they blend together the introduction to colors of the rain with the outro of saint and it's phil's turn to give the mic a whirl. i'm a big fan of this song. jeff and john casually trade licks before the bridge and really brighten up the otherwise cloudy vibe this song can provide. it is not as long as it can sometimes be and it finds its way to a special candyman. john treats the song with respect. weir's tone is loud and almost obnoxious but it sounds GOOD! chimenti is lightly providing a backbeat. they pick things up and are up to the watchtower just like that. nice segue. bob spaces the lyrics a round similar to what he does on west LA or estimated. real nice segue into just a little light. pretty decent run through, not as high energy as it can be. it's tough to cover the brent songs. the slyly go into big bad blues, john really wailing away, over and over. cosmic charlie to close the set is nice. seems a little slower paced than normal but still contains the same psychadelic vibe. i absolutely love the accapella end to it.

a ripping passenger to open the 2nd set. it really gives the energy level a boost. john knows just what to do with this. gives people a real run for their money. they bring things down and it sure sounds like a jack straw and it sure as hell is one. it starts out a little flat, kind of plodding along, but by the time the back instrumental section comes around jeff and john just tear it a new one. this may quite possibly be one of their most consistent songs as of the past year or so, and some could argue since the beginning, give the first a listen. they just have the ability to knock it out of the park each time. a quick shuffle turns out to be estimated. this one doesn't really do it for me, at least via the stream remember. seems to lack the spark, trouble finding direction or something. it does however lend it's hand to searching the mountains of the moon. i love this tune and was really hoping for a repeat performance at red rocks but alas they saved it for sea-town. i love the exploration of this song. there's a lot of haters out there on it but i think it's because it can get a little too spacey for them. that's really the beauty of going to see a band like this. those type of segments are really what intrigue me the most. mmm eleven wanted it bad all wkend but no dice. phil initiates this and jk and crew tag along instantly. i know i always get into the eleven intro think about jk not nailing it but he misses it again on this one. russo and phil basically set him up but there's just no bite. this could possibly be one of their most inconsistent segments strictly speaking about the intro. the rest of the tune is a great version. they take an indirect route that picks up a shuffle from russo. bob lights the candle and they drop the terrapin EVERYBODY was waiting for at red rocks. funny how the first show you don't hit they play what you wanted it's a really pretty lady with a fan. always love johns solo, his use of the MIDI is well received, at least it sounds that way on the recording. flyer>at a siding is great. the fact these guys pull off the entire suite is quite an accomplishment. the terrapin suite is truly a work of art. a seamless segue into WHARF RAT. awesome selection. another song john exhibits respect for in his playing and singing. sunshine and jeff sound fantastic on this tune. chimenti and john simultaneously blast out that riff before the "i'll get up an fly away" and it's awesome. raw emotion through their instruments. they cap the set with a fun and rockin' touch of grey. bobs vocals are a little rigid at times, but it's alright. we will get by.

absolutely smoking bertha to close the show. can't imagine the crowd energy in there to close this out. jeff and john are at it again, RELENTLESS.

a really great show sounds like they are fine tuning, can hear some positive differences from some of the red rocks stuff. hopefully they can keep the momentum up now that they have a day break and then three days to blow everyones heads off in portland.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, dr bakes, iamthedoor, funky420, illuminaughty, 23atwell, Jasper, BillyDeLion, JELSturmer, sarko...
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

Re: REVIEW: seattle

#196188 1 year, 11 months ago
lewis, i read this review, and i respect your opinion, i havent heard this show yet so ill just assume you were right on with your comments, that said:
dude, posting a review to a show you listening to via a internet stream is lame.
heres why, you werent there, and there are probably tens if not hundreds of thousands over the world that listened to that show as it streamed, or shortly thereafter. they seem to get why their reviews would be seen as less than relavent.
its your time, you spend, so what ever gets you off, but i think its a bit conceted to think that there are people out there in "deadhead land" that give a damn about your opinion of show you only listened to online.
people read reviews from people who where there so they can hear the things the recording didnt pick up. like epic glowstick wars, or phil doin that silly dance he does.
why o why do so many poeple today think their opinions are like bettter than anyone elses.
its like bloggin.
everyone blogs, noone reads them.
anyway my point, please dont turn into one of those "deader than thou" people that quote setlist from the last 4 years by heart, and argue about who sang morning dew last summer at buckeye lake.
just dont.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#196213 1 year, 11 months ago
did you listen to taper rob's recording dude? it's better than the sound their crack sound crew dials in in most venues. also, i spent the better part of yesterday re-listening to the entire show without interruptions through a quality system in this hotel.

i think what is lame is the fact that you are here commenting on the review of someone who wasn't at the show like you are making any sense at all.

i don't see any reviews from a single person who was even there.

i do what i see fit man, you get stoned and log on here and type a bunch of nonsense and beg ratdog to come back. i prefer to discuss the band at hand.

say your piece and get out.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, kfender
StaggerSage
Fresh Boarder

#196222 1 year, 11 months ago
Your review of the show was spot on, and articulated well the nuances of the set list and the transition between songs. I was there and "my boys" sounded pretty tight. I was impressed, again. I thought Phil was loud and played his ass off. I didn't expect 'victim' and I needed the message in that song now in my life. 'Lost Sailor' sweet transition, and heart felt. My first 'Terrapin' and the whole suite. I agree, the song is an epic opus that I dearly love.
The only minus which you couldn't hear steaming was that WaMU theater has not just bad acoustics, it almost has none. My first time at WaMu. High school cafeterias have about as good acoustics as WaMu.

Glad I made it to near the front of the stage, by that I mean within 50', because that is were the big juicy sound was happening. Not like an ampitheater where the sound waves can bounce and radiate. You know what I'm talk'n bout. All in all good show, a lot of inter play, they were feeling it, and we were all feeling it too! Thanks and peace brother!
Nick
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

#196228 1 year, 11 months ago
whiney bitches.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#196255 1 year, 11 months ago
come on guys
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#196260 1 year, 11 months ago
Just another view... & i too listened to the stream.... Victim nice but nothing spectacular... ok here we go I love sailor>saint...to my ears these versions were slow and plodding. No FIRE that this pairing needs. Candyman decent I actually like Bobby singin this one ..although John does a nice job. I love Watchtower .... but again ok but nothing special...at set break I listened to the east coast breakout 6/26/87 Alpine and the difference was beyond startling. Not even in the same league..don't believe me? Go listen on archive. The first tune they really sounded dialed in and jamming was Big Bad Blues. Highlight of the set. The momentum carried over to a strong Cosmic Charlie. Second set was solid I'd give it a B. Passenger is a fave but there never really is a jam to this song..always sounds the same to me. Jack Straw was raging. Always LOVE Estimated... not the strongest version ever but still very enjoyable. Can't complain about a Terrapin suite... BUT Ratdog was who brought this back and to these ears really missed Kennys sax. Wharf Rat very strong..vocally and instrumentally. Touch of Grey ..meh... should never be a set closer. Bertha was rip snortin hot. Good not great show. YMMV
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by Still Takin it Weirder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#196263 1 year, 11 months ago
Goddamn what a way to encore..... Bertha was smoking....they are what encores should be...take me out energized.
GOOD LOVE
Still Takin it Weirder
Platinum Boarder

#196275 1 year, 11 months ago
brokenarrow wrote:
Goddamn what a way to encore..... Bertha was smoking....they are what encores should be...take me out energized.

Right on arrow... I like to be sent out rocking. The only exception to me is on the 3rd night of a 3 night stand a brokedown or Baby Blue hits the spot.
kfender
Gold Boarder

#196291 1 year, 11 months ago
Naughty way to be an asshole!!!You ramble on here more than most.You sure are one to talk
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds